Those 4 words are panacea to whatever has ailed LA KINGS fans since 2012; Dean has done such a resplendent job of turning our woefully mediocre team into a perennial powerhouse, we have come to trust our GM, Dean Lombardi, implicitly.
Well, here we are, 24hrs after the trade deadline, and the LA KINGS made these moves:
-Traded Jordan Weal and a 3rd round pick for Vincent Lecavalier and Luke Schenn
-Traded Christian Erhoff and his UFA status at the end of the year for 37yr old Rob Scuderi, owed $1.25m
-Traded Valentin Zykov and a 5th rounder for Kris Versteeg
- My thoughts:
- -Erhoff was a corpse at the end of the bench/in the minors. His play style did not fit the Kings and Sutter was clearly not impressed with his lackluster effort. Getting Scuderi will toughen up the blue line, and his leadership in the room will be a great side-benefit.
- -Weal was a bit….uh….diminutive for the LA KINGS and the way they play; getting Lecavalier and Schenn was, at first, a push. This move has gotten better as the games go by; Vinny looks reborn, and Schenn is a big body who isn’t afraid to stand up at the blue line and both are contributing to the team nightly.
- -I have yet to see Versteeg play, but from what I’ve gathered, he’ll slot into our 2nd/3rd line and contribute; a bigger guy who’s not afraid to muck it out in the corners, and has the skill to finish when given the opportunity. From all accounts, Zykov might not be NHL quality, so shipping him and a 5th for a scorer is a pretty good deal.
- What cannot be overlooked is that this team has sat in 1st place in the Pacific Division since the year started; our lead is much slimmer now, due to a white-hot Anaheim squad, but make no mistake….these LA KINGS are for real, and they’re built for one thing-
- Post season play. 7 game series.
- See you boys in June.