Here is our final last minute mock draft. I chose each individual ranking by the greatest need for the team and not necessarily the best player available. You might not agree with our rankings, so let us know! Comment below, tweet me @hkyblogger or tell us on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/NotYourAverageHockeyBlog. Without further to do, he is our 2015 NHL Last Minute Final Mock Draft!
1. Edmonton Oilers – Connor McDavid
He’s a generational talent. What more can I say?
2. Buffalo Sabres – Jack Eichel
Not a bad prize for getting the second overall pick. Can’t say that for many drafts.
3. Arizona Coyotes – Dylan Strome
4. Toronto Maple Leafs – Mitchell Marner
The Leafs would rather get Strome as the team would like to add another big center to build around. Marner is a nice player, but he’s undersized at 5’11. I’d personally like to see the Leafs grab Hanifin and solidify the blue line with Hanifin and Reilly, but all points are pointing the blue and white grabbing Marner instead.
5. Carolina Hurricanes – Noah Hanifin
Any other draft, Hanifin goes 1st overall, but this draft is so top heavy, the Boston College defenseman goes 5th overall. Canes will be beaming from ear to ear to get him.
6. New Jersey Devils – Matthew Barzal
7. Philadelphia Flyers – Mikko Rantanen
Flyers are filled to the brim with young defenders in their system with players such as Morin and Gotishbehere in their system. The young right wing sniper is exactly what the Flyers need.
8. Columbus Blue Jackets – Ivan Provorov
Their GM has openly said they would like to improve the defense in their system. With Hanifin gone, it’s a toss up between Provorov and Werenski.
9. San Jose Sharks – Lawson Crouse
10. Colorado Avalanche – Zach Werenski
11. Florida Panthers – Pavel Zacha
12. Dallas Stars – Timo Meier
13. Los Angeles Kings – Kyle Connor
The Kings would like to shore up on their center prospects. It was a toss up between Kyle Connor and Travis Konecny but the Kings like their centers to have some size. Konecny is 5’9.75 while Connor is 6’1.
14. Boston Bruins – Nick Merkley
15. Calgary Flames – Jeremy Roy
16. Edmonton Oilers (From PIT) – Ilya Samsonov
Oilers aren’t picking anyone else but McDavid with the 1st overall pick. But the Oilers need help with goaltending and defense as well. Samsonov is the best goalie in the draft, but are they willing to lose out on Samsonov for a defenseman they need?
17. Winnipeg Jets – Evgeni Svechnikov
18. Ottawa Senators – Colin White
He’s a good two way forward who doesn’t play a flashy game but he gets the points. Was at a point a pace game last year.
19. Detroit Red Wings – Joel Eriksson Ek
Detroit loves their Swedes. Eriksson Ek is a player
20. Minnesota Wild – Jansen Harkins
Might be a bit of a reach here, but the Wild would like a guy who can all 200ft of the ice. My only issue with him is his offensive game.
21. Buffalo Sabres (From NYI) – Thomas Chabot
After picking up Eichel with the 2nd overall pick, the Sabres will need to restock the defensive prospect cupboard with the best defensema available. Enter Thomas Chabot. His physical game needs a bit more work but his offensive game is very good. He had 29 points in 66 games in the QMJHL last year.
22. Washington Capitals – Paul Bittner
My personal favourite pick. Plays a big game and will develop into a prototypical power forward. Going to be the steal of the draft in my opinion. Needs to work on his shot and bulking up though.
23. Vancouver Canucks – Daniel Sprong
24. Toronto Maple Leafs (From NSH) – Brandon Carlo
The Leafs picked up Marner with the 4th overall pick and will use this pick to pick up some defense. Carlo is sort of like an anti Reilly. He stays in his own zone and plays a physical game while Reilly likes to wheel and deal around the ice. Creates an interesting pairing though. Maybe with Gardiner?
25. Winnipeg Jets (From STL via BUF) – Jakub Zboril
26. Montreal Canadiens – Anthony Beauvillier
The Habs have been linked with the young small sniper. He will need to bulk up as he is only 173 lbs., but he skates fast, and has a wicked shot.
27. Anaheim Ducks – Jeremy Bracco
28. Tampa Bay Lightning (From NYR) – Denis Guryanov
29. Philadelphia Flyers (From TBL) – Jordan Greenway
The Flyers like their guys big and Jordan Greenway is 6’4.75. He’s physical and has plays a pretty good offensive game, but his defense will need some work.
30. Arizona (From CHI) – Oliver Kylington